If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
If a weightlifter lifts weights, what does a shoplifter lift?
Why does your nose run, and your feet smell?
When I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up my essay, I shall end it?
Why is it that a man with hair on this head has more hair than a man with hairs on his head?
Never get on a non-stop flight, you will never get off!
Can I have a ‘hot cup of coffee’? Surely, we mean a ‘cup of hot coffee’?
Have you ever thought about how prepositions work in a sentence?
Prepositions can have 1. spatial, 2. temporal, or 3. abstract meanings
- I live in a house.
- I left home at 9am.
- Something came across my mind
There is a concept of Space in prepositions. How do we locate an object relative to space?
- John is at the dentist.
- John went to the dentist.
However, the scale is Relative. Look at these two sentences.
- The ant walked across his hand.
- A bus drove across the country.
What is the semantic category/communicative function?
- The balloon passed over the house.
- The balloon passed over.
- The balloon went up. (postulate)
- The balloon went over there. (landmark)
How does Spatial Awareness work?
Think about dimensions: 1D, 2D, and 3D
- John drove down the road. (a line – one dimensional space)
2. The skater twirled on the pond. (the pond is a surface, 2D)
3. The astronaut checked his equipment in the airlock. (a room has 3D and we are placing him inside)
Where is the location of space?
at – (non-directional) Amy ran at the track.
at – (core meaning, denote position) I am at school.
at – (being at a specific point) The intersection of the lines is at co-ordinates 3,4 on the graph.
How does a motion verb work with prepositions?
- John threw the ball at Mary.
- John threw the ball to Mary.
How does the preposition modify the verb?
- (place) John exercised inside the house.
- (path) John stormed inside the house.
What is a phrasal verb?
ran into my teacher
break up (relationship)
How does the phrase with a preposition become idiomatic?
hold your hand up
off like a shot
in at the deep end
off the record
in the pink
English can be crazy!
- A house can burn up as it burns down.
- You can fill in a form by filling it out.
- Why is it after dark when it is after light?