Choose a language item from the list below and design a simple lesson plan using one of the games to teach/practice the item.
Student Vocabulary Game
Number of players: 2-6
Materials: A score/category sheet per group, a deck of alphabet cards and a pencil
Object of the game: To name objects beginning with the chosen alphabet card and to be the first person to get rid of his/her alphabet cards.
|2. Fruits and Vegetables:|
|3. The Classroom:|
|4. Things in the home:|
|5. The Body:|
|6. Boy’s and Girl’s Names:|
|7. Sports and Hobbies|
1) A Student shuffles the cards and deals 5 alphabet cards. The cards are laid face down in front of each player.
2) The remaining alphabet cards are laid face down on the table in front of the group.
3) Alternate people start but the first player to the dealer’s left starts play by turning over their alphabet card, and then naming something from the first category on the sheet beginning with his letter. Once the learner has said a word they must write it on their sheet. Their go is over.
4) They have 10 seconds to think of an answer, if they do not have an answer in the allotted time they must pick up an extra card from the middle of the table and place it face down in front of them. Their go is over.
5) Each student takes turns to turn an alphabet card from their pile and naming an item in the first category. Examples are not allowed to be repeated.
6) The round ends when someone has picked up all their cards and named something from the category each time.
7) The other students must add up how many remaining cards they have, and write that number on their score sheet, e.g. 3 cards remaining = 3 points
8) The process is repeated with the person to the left of the dealer being the new dealer and the person to their left starting the new game. The game continues with objects from the second category.
9) The games continue until all the 8 categories have been completed
10) The person with the lowest score is the winner.